Monday 6 September 2010

I can Knit! (Badly)

Evening,

In a related reprise of I can Crochet! (Badly). This week I bought a Let's Get Crafting Knitting & Crochet special issue. I brought it on the train home with me (intending to do it, and putting it off) and showed it to Mam while discussing the fact that I'd also brought home 2 dresses for alterations with me.

I bought a navy and white dress last week that I love the style and pattern of, but I'm not sure about it. The wide straps have button holes and attach to the dress via buttons so that the length is adjustable. I've only a small chest so it needs taking in again. However the dress also seems like it's straining at the front (it has an elasticated back), where there are 4 buttons down the chest. I don't want the top one popping open, but the fabric wrinkles and appears to be strained when all buttons are done up. So I'm not sure whether to keep it and alter it (and hope for the best, because the buttons would have to be stitched which would affect the way the dress sits) or to return it. It was £19.99.

I also have another dress I bought for my birthday. The adjustable strap plastic piece has snapped on one end, so it doesn't hold it's position any more. It's the same piece you get on bra straps, so I'm hoping it will be relatively easy to track down a replacement.

So this evening Mam and I sat down to go through the dresses and alter them. Out came her stash, and away it went when we realised that we couldn't actually make any headway on either. Then I remembered the magazine, and Mam started showing me how to knit. She has never been able to crochet (she says) so the extent of my crochet skills (casting on and the foundation chain) is more than she can do.

However Mam used to be able to knit, and she has lots of cardigans etc that she knitted for me when I was a baby. My Gran used to knit a lot, as did her Grandmother. Sadly my Gran's health isn't very good any more, and she's unable to knit or craft.

After saying she was rusty and unable to remember clearly, Mam picked up the wool and needles and started knitting away like a pro! So she showed me how to cast on, then how to knit and after a few rows how to purl. I've ended up with what looks like a misshapen flag due to my mysterious skill in adding extra stitches! It was 12 to begin with, and at one point was 16...

I really enjoyed it, and more importantly Mam did too. We even stayed up until 11.30pm doing it, which is REALLY late for Mam. She's normally in bed by 9pm and then watches tv until she nods off. I'm glad she enjoyed it, although she did say she probably wouldn't take it up again properly.

Hope you've all had a lovely Sunday like me :)

xx

No comments: